Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Debrief: Amsterdam

I am so glad I did this trip.

That simple statement is probably the best way to summarize Amsterdam. Unlike other cities I’ve been to, I don’t have this feeling like “I need to get back here someday” but if I had a few more days to explore, I’d take them.
I don’t think I saw as much stuff as I did in Barcelona. It certainly wasn’t as historical as Munich or Salzburg. Travelling by myself and with this new group was different than exploring Berlin with Ivana and Lubos. But all that said, the entire weekend was an emotional roller coaster. From fear to disgust, from sorrow to empathy, from stress to excitement, I feel like I overcame a huge obstacle for myself this weekend. The humanity I encountered showed such a different side of life than I’m used to.

It certainly felt like the most “foreign” city I’ve been to. Well, that might not be a completely true statement since both Barcelona and Amsterdam felt different from Prague. Perhaps it was the most different from life back home. While Barcelona was a paradise, and Munich was like the middle ages, this was…just WOW!
I really don’t like to think that the behavior I saw in Amsterdam was “bad.” I don’t want to go too far into a philosophical debate, but I think it was just “different.” The people were not evil or moral-less. I really believe that, just like everyone else, they are looking to feel something. Think about it…they don’t allow photos in the RLD because “the prostitutes are people.” They understand the humanity of it; they just view the boundaries differently.

And I felt all kinds of things this weekend. Beyond the shock of the Red Light district, the Anne Frank house was very powerful. I still can’t believe the number of people who knew what was happening to the Jews and did nothing to stop it. There were far too few Mieps and Beps in the story. At the same time, the Frank’s family is a great story of survival, love, and family. It’s amazing what people can survive as long as they have something to hope for.
I really enjoyed the Dutch culture too. They seem to be a very regal people. From visiting the market to trying the pie in the café, everyone was very friendly and helpful. I also admire the historical resourcefulness of the people that have lived in Amsterdam for generations. The canals are both beautiful and well made. The form definitely fits the function, and the result in unlike anything I’ve seen before. The entire city was beautiful. From the little bike paths to the small foot bridges, it was just amazing.

And the tulip fields were awesome too! The colors were unreal. The designs were totally artistic. And I really enjoyed the time I got to spend with Liz, Lauren, Gaby, and Katie. It’s been fun meeting new people and sharing experiences together (however brief the encounter might be.)
As I look back at my photos and re-read my handwritten scribbles, I realize that I never once mentioned my age this weekend. I wasn’t 40-year-old Zach, but I didn’t have to announce I was 19-year-old Zach either.

When my Mom and I Skyped the night before I left for Amsterdam, she told me, “I don’t see the 40-year-old anymore.”
“I killed him,” I joked.

But maybe he is gone…or maybe, I don’t have to try so hard to detach myself from him anymore. I don’t get the feeling that I have two different roles to play.
I’m just Zach…and that’s liberating.
It was another exciting weekend—one I’m not sure how I will describe to people back home. Now, I go back to Prague for 48 hours to give my final presentation in International Management, and then I’m off to Zurich, Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment