Friday, March 1, 2013

The Attack

Flashback: December 29, 2012
“It could be a collapsed lung,” the doctor said. “Sometimes, twenty-something white guys get these spontaneously collapsed lungs. But we’ll also do an EKG to make sure there’s nothing wrong with your heart.”

I didn’t care what it was. Granted, both of those things sounded bad. Collapsed lungs or arrhythmias were not things I wanted to experience anytime soon—anytime at all really—but more than anything, I wanted the pain to go away.
My parents and I had been watching TV. Family Feud I think it was, but I wasn’t really paying attention. I had spent the day buying travel books for my trip to Prague. Now, as I thumbed through them, I was trying to get a blog together that I could use while I was overseas. I’d built the template months ago; I was just trying to figure out what to post first.

That’s when it happened. It started in my abdomen and slowly climbed up my chest and into my back. At first it just felt like basic cramping and I adjusted myself in the chair. But it kept spreading, and soon, it started tightening. My chest felt like it was being crushed. It hurt to inhale, but it hurt even more to exhale.  The muscles all through my arms went rigid. I could move them, but it was more comfortable if I didn’t.
My parents tried to help me, but the pain was unlike anything I’d felt before. After almost an hour of trying to get it to go away, we went to the hospital where the ER admitted me.

“Now there hasn’t been any physical trauma that would cause anything like this?” the doctor asked. She was tall and blonde, with kind of a stalky build, probably in her late forties/early fifties.  When she came into the room, we’d compared stories about SCUBA diving. Oddly, talking about something besides the pain seemed to make the pain less severe.
“No,” I said.

“And how about anything psychological?” she asked. “Anything stressing you out or anything you’re worried about or anxious over?”
That did it. The vice around my body squeezed and I clenched my teeth. If I were truly honest, I was anxious about going to Prague. Buying books and making plans suddenly made it feel more and more real. I was excited for the opportunity, but inside I was panicked and I’d been trying to hide that ever since I got my acceptance letter (almost 3 months earlier.)

“I supposed I have been a little stressed lately,” I admitted. She made a note and left the room. As she did, I asked her to send in my Mom. Six hours, several scans, and various IV pain killers all revealed that I had had a run-of-the-mill anxiety attack.
Over the next month, as I got ready to go, the same panicked feeling came and went. I bought a health magazine at one point that had an article on anxiety attacks. Apparently they are a growing epidemic in my demographic (white, college-aged, males.) The best advice it gave was to not worry about having anxiety attacks, recognize an attack when it was coming on, step away from the current task, and start counting until the attack subsided. Throughout shopping, packing, saying “goodbyes” and air travel, the trick had worked. While I’d get the painful tingling in my abdomen from time to time, I never had another attack as bad as that night in the hospital. Since I’d been on the ground in Prague, I hadn’t felt an attack at all.

Feb 28, 2013 (continued)I was in the middle of writing my blog post for today, and had just begun to describe grocery shopping, when out of nowhere, I felt a familiar sensation grab my core. I adjusted a little and tried to make it go away. I stood up and stretched, took some deep breaths, and tried to really focus on just blogging.
It didn’t work.

Within 15 minutes, the pain was pounding in my back and suffocating my chest. My body once again felt like it was in a vice and I couldn’t breathe. My arms went stiff, my joints clenching tighter and tighter.  My muscles spasmed and breathing felt impossible.
I set down my laptop and walked out into the kitchen. I filled my mug with water and sat at the table sipping it and counting. When my roommates came back, I stood up, and with a smile excused myself to the bathroom. I put the lid down over the toilet and sat on it. It was cooler in the bathroom and I resumed taking deep breaths. Within a few minutes, the attack subsided. I stood up, went back in my room and continued to blog.

After typing just two sentences, the pain seized me again. It felt crippling, but I tried really hard not to show it.
What did I have to be stressed out about? I’m in Europe! I’m meeting people, playing tourist, loving the stories and the history I get to see every day. Why can’t that be enough?

I decided to try taking a shower. Very disoriented, I stood up and went into the washroom. As I did, I realized I forgot my towel. I went back to get it. When I returned to the washroom, I realized I forgot my toiletry kit. I went back to get it. My brain was firing signals from nowhere any despite telling myself to calm down, but body wasn’t getting the message.
My roommates were in and out for a poker game that was going on upstairs. I stayed in the shower for quite a while. The warm water felt good and I felt my muscles begin to let up.

When I got out, I got dressed and returned to my computer. I felt a lot better. I started blogging, and typed out several more sentences, when once again, like a knife ripping through my chest, the pain shot across my body. My back seized up and my lungs felt like they were collapsing. I couldn’t do it anymore. I had to force my body to relax.
I tossed my laptop to the floor and quickly shut off the lights. I lay down in bed, but as soon as I did, I felt like I was suffocating. Grabbing a few jackets and some of my clothes out of my drawers, I created a wedge under my pillow to prop myself up.

I started to count. One. Two. Three. Four. Five…the pain just kept squeezing. I felt like if I didn’t keep focusing on my breathing, my body would forget how.
Just calm down, I thought. Please calm down. There’s nothing to worry about. You’ve had a great trip. You’re safe. Your family is safe. Your friends are safe. You have a fun weekend coming up. Just calm down!

Sixty-seven. Sixty-eight. Sixty-nine. This was so much worse than the night I went to the hospital.
I guess if I thought about it, stress was a normal response. As of tomorrow (Friday) I will have been out of the country for three weeks. I’ve been away from my parents and my friends for that entire time. I’ve been in a new routine, in an unfamiliar culture. Simple day to day tasks I could have done in minutes back home can take hours here. Learning the schedule, catching the tram, figuring out my classes…it’s all be hectic. I’ve been living on my own for the first time in my life—really on my own since Boy Scouts gave me an excuse to swing by the house on a regular basis for the last 18 months of college. I’m doing laundry on a regular basis and cooking for myself when I want to eat. My diet has completely changed, as has my sleep schedule. I’m sure I’m a bit dehydrated too. I suppose my brain might need a chance to catch up to my body.

But I wasn’t going to let this little attack stop me. I have been having so much fun. I’ve learned so much about Prague, and about myself, that I didn’t want a little bit of stress to slow me down. My plans for the weekend are exciting, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know the people I’m going to go with. This is just a blip in the radar. This was probably some repressed fear and emotion that I needed to deal with, and now that my body was sorting it out, I could get back to the adventure.
For over half an hour, my body would relax only to tense back up again. I kept counting until the pain went away, then I’d let my mind wander. Within a few minutes of straying from the rhythm of numbers, would retighten, feeling worse than before. The last number I consciously remember thinking was 1,624.

Somewhere shortly after that, I drifted off.

No comments:

Post a Comment